Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Recipe Challenge December: Purple Potatoes!!

Yes, I know it has been a while. AND I know I am horrifically bad at updating my blog... (Here comes the broken record part...) I will make it a point to be better for 2013!!!!!!

Now that we have that out of the way, let's get to this fantastic and yummy post!

So last month I came across a facebook post from my friend Mike about a recipe challenge... A recipe challenge? What is this awesomeness you speak of?

Well, to sum it up, someone picks a secret ingredient (bet'cha can't guess what this month's secret ingredient is... I will give you a hint... It's in the title), everyone goes out and finds the secret ingredient and then cooks with it! There's more than that involved, but for the sake of time I am nut shelling it ;)

So this month it was on Mike to unveil the ingredient, purple potatoes! Now living in Los Angeles and being surrounded by wonderful establishments like Whole Paycheck, Trader Joe's and various farmer's markets, I thought finding this ingredient would be a piece of cake. After all, I found these little suckers in a remote Hawaiian village, how hard is it going to be to find them here? Oh, how wrong I was!

My awesome Hawaiian meal with purple Potatoes!

Whole Paycheck (Whole Foods for those of you who do not speak Keiranese) was a total bust, the fine employees at my local Ralph's looked at me like I was nuts when I asked for them, and don't get me started on Von's... I finally found my silver lining at Trader Joe's! Down side, purple potatoes only came in a variety pack, so... 5 bags later I had enough purple potatoes to do something creative with!

Yayy for variety! ;)

So I get my potatoes home and as I am unloading them I realize something... I have purple potatoes, but I have failed to gather any other ingredients. As you can see I prepared well for this challenge.

Oh yeah. I don't have a recipe either... Yep, totally prepared.

New plan, let's watch Kiki scrape together anything she can out of her fridge and pantry and cook something. Now that's a challenge!

Purchased Ingredients:
Purple Potatoes


Found Ingredients:
4 Green Peppers
Salsa
Tomato Sauce
Heirloom Tomatoes
Long Grain Rice
Small Can of Corn
Green Chiles
Smoked Turkey Sausage
Shredded Cheese
Taco Seasoning
Cayenne Pepper
Garlic Powder
and Old Bay Seasoning (Because it's awesome and it goes great on everything!)


So, this isn't exactly a traditional recipe, I can't even tell you how much of each ingredient I used, But I can tell you what I did and hopefully it will give you some fabulous ideas for your own kitchen creation!

Directions: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cook 3 servings of long grain rice according to instructions on package (you can use instant rice, or a spanish rice steamer if you are short on time). Slice the smoked turkey sausage into small pieces and fry it up. Combine the turkey sausage with the rice and add the small can of corn, a few tablespoons of salsa, a small handful of cheese, 1/4 cup of green chilies, 1/2 cup diced heirloom tomatoes, a few dashes of taco seasoning, garlic powder, cayenne and old bay to taste.



Cut the tops off the green peppers and clean the seeds out. Fill each pepper half way full of rice mixture and set aside. Parboil purple potatoes and drain. Dice potatoes up homefry style and fry until you get a good crisp on them. Top the green peppers with the pan fried potatoes and place in a lightly greased baking dish.



Bake for 30 minutes or until heated all the way through. Top with shredded cheese and bake for another 15 minutes if desired.

So Gooey!!

Ryan giving this recipe two forks up!

This experiment turned out way better than I thought it would! I would definitely make these again!!

After the peppers were completed I had extra potatoes and extra rice mixture. I ended up mixing the two together and using it for burrito filling! So this recipe was a two-in-one and Ryan went "Forks Up" for both!

To see the other Recipe Challenges for December, check out these blogs:

Becka's Blog - Recipe Hapiness
Mike's Blog - Vegan Gourmand

We're still working on getting Kiki's Recipe Box updated and running, we'll also be putting the recipe challenge recipes there when the site goes live! So check back for updates :)

Have a Happy and Yummy New Year! xoxo

1 comment:

Euneeda Biscuit said...

That looks awesome! I'm not usually a fan of stuffed peppers but those look really tasty.