Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, March 4, 2013

Recipe Challenge February: Corn!!

Welcome to february's recipe challenge! This month is was my turn to pick... Only I didn't know it right away! Off the top of my head all I could come up with in that moment was... Corn. Yep. Vodka was also included, but there weren't too many recipes I could think of that included both corn and vodka, but I can think of a few that include corn while drinking vodka!

The last time I was in Utah visiting family, I was given this old school green recipe box that belonged to my grandmother, I actually found this recipe in there! I have no idea if it originated with my grandmother, or if it was passed on to her from a friend, but it included corn... So we're makin' it!

Drum roll please...

This month we're making CORN RELISH! :) Yes, yes, there can be corn in relish, I know there are some non-believers out there, but it really is quite good!

I am quite happy to report that since the first recipe challenge I have learned to be prepared! I actually had a list when I went to the grocery store! It was shocking! So let's go over what you need...

Ingredients:
9 Cups Frozen corn kernels, thawed
3 Cups finely chopped cabbage
1 Cup finely chopped onion
1 Cup finely chopped, seeded red bell pepper
4 Cups White Vinegar
3 Cups granulated sugar
1 Cup water
2 Tbsp Dry Mustard
1 Tbsp Celery Seeds
1 Tbsp Mustard Seeds
1 Tbsp Salt
1 Tbsp Ground Turmeric
7 Pint Jars, cleaned and ready to go... Because we're canning this recipe!

The recipe is super simple, combine all ingredients in a large saucepan...





Once all Ingredients are combined, bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently...



Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally for about a half an hour or until the liquid is reduced and the veggies are tender-crisp.

While cooking the mixture take a few moments to prepare your jars... If you've forgotten the steps you can go back to the previous recipe as a refresher... Your jars should be cleaned and in your water bath simmering (remember, do not boil them!), and your two-piece closures should be ready to go, clean the bands and put the lids in a saucepan of water to warm them.

Once the mixture is ready, start fillin' your jars! Remove one jar at a time from your canner, pouring the water back in to the canner (you don't need to dry the jar), you can use a canning funnel or just ladle your relish right into the jar. Leave about a half inch of head space, use a non-metal utensil to remove any air bubbles from the jar and place your lid and band on the jar.



To process the jars, place them back in the canner and make sure they are covered by at least one inch of water. Cover the canner and bring the water to a full rolling boil over high heat. Continue to process the jars on high heat for another 15 minutes, only starting your timer when the water gets to the rolling boil. Turn the heat off, remove the lid from the canner and wait 5 minutes before removing your jars. Without tilting the jars, remove them from the canner and place them upright in a draft free area to cool. After 24 hours, check lids for seal... And voila! Corn Relish!



This recipe as it is, is a sweet relish, but you can kick up the heat like I did by adding hot pepper flakes. I also added parsley, Old Bay Seasoning (because it's awesome on everything), hot black pepper, chopped garlic and a little cayenne.

This relish is a nice colorful extra to your dinner table, and is awesome with deli sandwiches, wraps, as a side, in an omelet, and it is divine in salads! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

To check out more of February's Recipe Challenge, check out these blogs:

Becka's Blog - Recipe Hapiness
Mike's Blog - Vegan Gourmand


Until next month... Be Happy, Live Freely, Laugh Often and of course Eat Well! ;)

3 comments:

Vegan Gourmand said...

I LOVE CORN RELISH! They sell it at Trader Joe's but why buy it there when you have such a great recipe? Yummy yummy! :)

Kristina said...

That actually looks good, maybe I'll give it a try :)
Love your blog, hope to see you soon on my blog
www.beneaththecoat.com or Bloglovin or Facebook :)
Kisses from Zurich,
K

Vanessa Boudreau said...

Oh my husband would love this, thanks for the recipe!

www.vanessasrunway.com